Tuesday, February 27, 2007

North Avenue Nutbags

One of the best parts about living in the city is that I don’t have to drive far to get to work. But that short stretch of road I use is known as North Avenue, and every day I see a lifetime’s worth of crackheads, bums, thugs, toothless hookers, pimps with pouches full of hooker teeth and other assorted street trash.

Normally, I could just ignore them, but one of their character traits (besides the unmistakable odor of stale bread and gonorrhea) is that basic pedestrian courtesy is completely foreign to them. In their eyes, a crosswalk is merely a suggestion and a “Do Not Walk” sign is nothing but a pole to urinate on after downing a bottle of extra strength cough syrup.

But you can’t fault them all. A lot of them are just products of their environment, however roach-infested that may be. If nothing else, they’re a pretty good source of entertainment when you’re sitting in traffic listening to your favorite O-Town….um, I mean Metallica CD. So, when you’re driving down your city’s equivalent of North Avenue, keep an eye out for some of these characters that I’ve noticed on my daily commute.

***************

The Electric Wheelchair Boogaloo Crew
I see plenty of old men in this area in wheelchairs, but they’re always cruising in electric ones. And they’re quite graceful. Maneuvering around curbs, broken bottles, passed out meth addicts, random limbs sticking out of trash bags. These guys are like homeless NASCAR drivers. Except with more teeth.


The Crazies
These are the best. There’s no rhyme or reason to what they do. Take for example a woman that I had the pleasure to watch cross the street in front of me the other morning. She was dressed in a lovely ensemble from the latest Derelict clothing line and had a very noticeable limp. She would take one step, then bring her other foot even. Another step, then even. Kind of like if she was walking down a church aisle, about to marry the man of her dreams and become Mrs. Wonky Crackhead. But the best part was that each time a foot hit the ground, she’d say:

“Step.”
“Jomp.”
“Step.”
“Jomp.”

Now, I don’t know what Jomp is, but it’s definitely funny. And it’s definitely going to become part of my daily vocabulary.


The Crazies (with possible violent tendencies)
These guys aren’t quite as fun. At first, you might think they’re just regular Crazies, but as you listen to them babble, you start to realize they might actually turn their craziness on you. It goes from being fun to frightening faster than they can shout “The government infested my brain with Cracker Jacks!”

The real turning point is the moment when they actually make eye contact with you. You can see their soul, and even it hasn’t had bathed in months. It breaks that “fourth wall” and you realize you’re no longer watching as a casual observer. You’re about to get sucked into the constant David Lynch movie that’s playing in their heads.

If this occurs, just hit the gas. I don’t care if they’re standing right in front of you. Just floor it. The time you might have to spend in jail for running them over will be a lot less frightening than whatever they have planned for you and your purdy mouth.


The Geriatric “G”
As our population gets older, some guys that were really fly at one point never really change their look. The guy I’ve nicknamed The Geriatric “G” is actually one of the coolest playas on the block. It just so happens that he’s 78 years old and uses a walker. But he does it while decked out in a maroon leather suit.

And I don’t care how old you are…if you can rock a maroon leather suit and still look cool, you can get away with having two artificial hips and a Fixodented grill. You’re still superfly in my book.


Smelly Balls
I see this guy every now and then and I named him Smelly Balls because it looks like he’d have really smelly balls.

***************

Every town has them. So I say give ‘em a nickname and enjoy their antics. Just do it from a safe distance. You never know what kind of monstrously superpowered lice the government might have infested them with. And those suckers can really Jomp.

8 comments:

Southern Sports Dude said...

when i saw the title, i thought for sure that you'd be talking about Georgia Tech students. these people are almost as maladjusted as Techies....almost.

Anonymous said...

A friend talked me into paying $10 to see the "freak show" at the county fair a few years ago. Amidst the PAPER MACHE MODELS of freaks (son of a *%@*&!), and some guy doing tricks with a giant silver marble, was the only genuine freak in the place: a 400 lb guy with one tooth and a pervy leer, in a manual wheelchair, asking for donations to make his electric wheelchair boogaloo dreams come true. I was properly horrified on the outside, but giggling guiltily on the inside when my friend refused, informing him that he needed the exercise. He pinched my ass on the way out of the tent.

DL said...

I too once attented a county fair "freak show" and it was almost exactly the same. The only actual freak was a really fat woman chain-smoking her way to an early, oversized grave. I just felt really sad.

Not sad for her, just sad that she didn't pinch my ass on the way out.

Anonymous said...

Awww, that IS sad, D.

If I were a fat chain-smoking carny, I would definitely pinch your ass.

Anonymous said...

I've got one!!!
We have this chick that sits in the same spot and asks me for money every stinking day and every day I say "No" except I say it more rudely each time, but it doesn't phase her. She sort of has a voice like Bobcat Goldthwait from Police Academy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Goldthwait). She's fat (which really hurts her case), really nasty... looks around 30 or so. I can get her number for you Derek. She also says "Go Dawgs! Woooof woof woof"

JODIE

Anonymous said...

first, id like you to tell me what i had for breakfast...second...did you fail to mention the guy that walks up and down ponce that is permanently bent in a 90 degree angle...and he is searching for....im not even sure...maybe that guy from dalton came up to the clermont to celebrate his win with a lady of the evening and dropped his winning ticket on the ground somewhere.

DL said...

To Jodie:
If you could get her number, that would be awesome. That's assuming that she has a phone, of course. If not, just tell me her street corner and I'll swing by to pick her up.

To Leighann:
You had Cocoa Krispies or Vodka. One of the two. Or both.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.